Sunday, February 2, 2014

Professionalism

In the future I see myself working for the FAA in Texas or California. I know I will have to go for training in Okalahoma City first. The stations I am most interested in are in warmer climates. I would like to work in safety and training, which hopefully includes lots of travel. Any chance to be around planes.
While looking on the FAA website for employment opportunities, I have found that safety inspectors have to have a pilots license, and I do not right now, so I am looking more for the training aspect of the job. I would like to start in a smaller role like recurrent training and safety training and then possibly move up to head of the training department.
Some of the issues that the FAA and OSHA are concerned about include, but are not limited to; Record Keeping, Bloodborne Pathogens, Noise, Sanitation, Hazard communication, Anti-discrimination and Communication with the Federal Register Notices. As an employee for the FAA I am sure there is a specific protocol on how to train and keep proper records of understanding. I would have to be up to date on all of the standards and do my best to communicate the objectives of safety and standards to those I train.
In my own words professionalism is an attitude. An Attitude of safety and appropriate behavior in a working environment. Each working environment may have things about them that are different. For example, at Google, the employees are encouraged to take naps and refresh themselves, where in the aviation field the pilots are expected to work long, exhausting workdays and to care for people and cargo and maintain the sharpest level of skills.
The lack of professionalism was shown in the "Flying Cheap" documentary when it showed the falsifying of records and when the Captain and First officer on the Colgan accident did not communicate properly to get out of a stall.
If I can get a job with the FAA, I will maintain my professionalism by always being on top of the latest safety requirements and regulations in the Aviation industry. I will also make sure I am abreast of how the workers in the fields that I train, are responding to the regulations and requirements by being a part of forums and blogs and discussing the topics with those who live it daily.

7 comments:

  1. That sounds like an exciting and fun job to end up working for the FAA. I started out not knowing whether or not I wanted to fly for the airlines or work on the management side. So I started flying and really enjoyed it but discovered I would rather be working in the management division.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that the falsifying of records was a huge lack of professionalism. Also, I really like that plan to take a hands on approach with you workers to make sure regulations are understood and kept up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think training is a great position. I feel like you get to affect so much more by teaching others than you do by just working a position somewhere. You said right now you are looking more for training, do you hope to eventually get your private certificate and be a safety inspector?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the fact that you are actively seeking out the information you need to know about the FAA jobs. Nice job with being proactive.

    I also agree completely with you about the things that were unprofessional within the video. It is absolutely absurd the things that were being said in that video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you thought about the possibility of working for a state aeronautics departments, or is your heart set on working for the federal government? I agree with you, depending on the working environment professionalism may have a different view, nonetheless there are always certain actions that have no place in the work environment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting fact about Google...there was talk of "formally" allowing pilots to take naps on flights beyond a certain duration, but as you can imagine, there was a lot of pushback from the public.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you pointed out that Google employees get breaks such as naps, it never ceases to amaze me that some airlines treat their employees like they're working a part time job flipping burgers. I understand the cost aspects of flying, and I understand an aircraft on the ground doesn't make money, but peoples lives are ultimately more important then either aspect. Pilots should be treated accordingly, and as shown in Flying Cheap, that isn't the case at some airlines, with long hours, bad managers and pay that's worse then working at Mcdonalds. Considering how much training costs, pilots should make a livable wage, or airlines should consider soldiering some of this cost in return for a percentage of their future wages, otherwise they won't be able to find any more pilots to fly their aircraft.

    ReplyDelete